Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Have a Little Faith in Me

My most recent song fascination has been the song, "Have a Little Faith in Me," by John Hiatt. Here are the lyrics:

When the road gets dark
And you can no longer see
Just let my love throw a spark
And have a little faith in me

And when the tears you cry
Are all you can believe
Just give these loving arms a try
And have a little faith in me

Chorus:
Have a little faith in me
Have a little faith in me
Have a little faith in me
Have a little faith in me

When your secret heart
Cannot speak so easily
Come here darlin
From a whisper start
To have a little faith in me

And when your backs against the wall
Just turn around and you will see
I will catch, I will catch your fall
Just have a little faith in me


It speaks a lot more than I ever realized; and, it could possibly have two different interpretations from the lyrics. I think that this song was meant to be sung from a guys perspective towards a girl, but it also could mean, and how I see the lyrics now, as God wanting you to have faith in him. Looking at the verses, God fulfills all our desperations and heartaches. When we're in the dark and cannot see, he gives us light. When our eyes are filled with tears, we know we have his loving arms to turn to. When our heart's lost for words, you know you can always pray to him. When you feel like there's no way out or no one to catch you, God is there. All you have to do is have a little faith in him. But what's faith? Faith, as I have heard it defined, is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we cannot see. Even though we can't see God, we have faith in knowing he is still there with us. In the movie, "A Walk to Remember," they phrased it as, "It's like the wind, you can't see it, but you can feel it and you know it's there." As Christians, faith is inevitable and essential. We don't need to have proof that Jesus is real because we put our entire faith into the Bible. And ultimately, if we put all our trust and faith in our Savior, then in return we will no longer worry about what lies ahead, for God has our futures set and He is always in control.

"And we know that in ALL things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." ~Romans 8:28~

No comments: