Thursday, September 4, 2008

my trip to Haiti

I went on my first missions trip this past summer to Haiti. It was such an eye opening experience, I wish you all could have seen it. Before, whenever I saw pictures or videos of third world countries and kids who needed to be loved or fed, yeah I felt sympathy for them and wanted to help them but I don't think I ever really understood the seriousness of it. I would go to Christian concerts and they would tell the audience all about these countries who need our help or our financail support and we maybe feel compelled in the back of our mind to take action but never follow through with it. Now, after being there and actually seeing their faces in real life and getting to know the people of Haiti, I have grown to love them as brothers and sisters in Christ and realize that it's up to us to make a difference. We can sit back and watch that video talking about what we can do to help, and we can feel sorry for them but what are you actually doing to put that feeling into a reality? As Americans we are so blessed with everything we have, the least we can do is use what we have been given by the Lord and give it back to Him by helping those less fortunate than us. Even now, I still find myself wondering what more I could do.

Above all, seeing the people worship the Lord like they did down there was the most beautiful thing I experienced there. They were so real and genuinely filled with joy about Christ, even in the midst of pain, heartache, and poverty. It was truly incredible to see them so on fire for their King. How passionate and on fire are some of us about worshipping and thanking our Father who gave us everything we have? Sometimes we're so caught up in the busyness of our life we forget to take a moment and thank God, me included. I find it harder for us to develop a deep and meaningful time consuming relationship with Jesus because we have so much other "stuff of life" that gets in the way.

The point I'm trying to get across is: if God is calling you to sponser that little child you see at Christian concerts, make it happen, if He's calling you to something bigger like a missions trip, then by all means, try to make it possible for you to go...God put us in this world so we can develop a relationship with Him but also help out those in need and who need to also hear about the Gospel. I'm not saying you can't be a missionary in your own town, because we can preach the Gospel to anyone in our daily lives, what's a struggle is to get past that barrier and be bold in your decision to be a disciple for Christ. Here's a paper I wrote for English class about Haiti, which is the best way for me to describe it all (it also had to be in all one-syllable words):


One trip: one truth
There's a far land that lies close to the sea. I could not have ever known such a place could change me, but it did. With me was my mom, my dad, my sis, and four friends from our church. When I took my first glance at the place which would be our home for the next eight days, I felt shock and knew this view would open my eyes to real life and not just still frames. Trash laid in the street while all these feet walked on by. As the group drove on the torn roads, each eye drew to mine and I could not help but feel out of place. Still, all I thought was how they must live their lives day to day and how it is not the same as ours.
I taught grown kids from a youth group how to play chords and strum six strings. We taught them new praise songs in their own words as well as in ours. Each one had such a strong want to learn and made the most out of their time with us. All the guys and girls were so warm and fun to hang out with. Each day was spent to pass on our skills to them so they can keep on with what we taught them, which can then be used to give praise to the Lord. Our group too would share in their form of praise through song, dance, and games. As each day passed, we grew to love each one of them plus share in the love of Christ.
Our last night came to a close and, slow to say our byes, we told them we’d hope to come back and see them next year. With few hours left, I stared in the eyes of one whose heart is torn in two. Not able to speak his words, all I could do was hold his hand and pray he’d find peace and hope for the days in front. As tears rolled down each face, I did not know one heart could feel this way. We all did not want this time to ever fade and knew it took a lot more than just fate to bring us here. They taught me key ways of life: to live for God day by day, to have joy with your life, to not fret on small things, and to love the Lord with all your heart, soul, and mind. Now, I do not look at the world as I once did, I don’t think one still could. Even though what I saw, heard, and felt might not be known to the rest of the world, I will do my best to show them through words, songs, and speech. I will look back at the time spent, the tears cried, the shared laughs, the songs filled with joy, each face still in my thoughts, and think how I could not have been any other place at that brief glimpse in time.

2 comments:

Proverbial Verbosity said...

That story is amazing for the following reasons:
1) It uses one-syllable words! I didn't think it could be done!
2) It retells the story of your Haiti trip and conveys your passion and emotions while down there!

Jenn said...

becca...that basically made me cry! You are a great writer and it shows the beauty of your writing cuz i think i felt so much of your heart and found out so much more about the trip than when we talked about it for hours. WOW! amazing!! God is good.